1 month+ baby - doesn’t drink well from hegen slow flow teat designed

My lo (6w) has been using hegen teat designed for 1m+ but recently it’s becoming tedious to feed as he would often drink, say, 50ml out of 100ml and stop and hover his mouth over the teat and does not suck and falls asleep quickly. 1. Shd i upgrade to medium flow (but it’s for 3m+)?? 2. Also is it normal for babies not to drink the full amt prepared consistently ? Like sometimes they may take only 3/4 of it.. should i expect a range of amount instead?#firstbaby #1stimemom #teat #hegen

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hey mummy! I’m using hegen as well but for my case I went to my paediatrician to get him checked for his milk intake on almost monthly basis. I was not aware initially that I was over feeding him, at one month old I was feeding him 90-100ml and my PD told me to stop and feed base on his body weight. So he recommended to start 70ml and now I’m at 100ml. My son is almost 3months and drinks his milk completely and has no reflux. I think you shouldn’t upgrade the teats as the flow could be too fast for your baby causing him to choke,try lessening the intake instead.

Read more
4y ago

My baby is 6.3kg the last I checked a few weeks ago. I was told by my PD he can take up to 100ml. So you just take the baby’s weight x 2 Divide by number of feedings. So it’s (6.3 x 2)/ 12= 1.05 So it’s 105ml.