period/menses back after giving birth

Would like to know how long does it takes to have your period/menses back after giving birth?

107 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The time frames below are just approximations of when you might start having your period again. If you're wondering whether your situation is normal, check with your doctor to make sure things are on track. Nursing moms: One benefit of breastfeeding is that it can delay your period. If you've been breastfeeding exclusively, day and night, since you had your baby it can take six months or longer before you have to run to the store for tampons, suffer from PMS, or cope with cramps. But the less often your baby nurses, the sooner your period may come back. So if your baby sleeps through the night from an early age, or if you're supplementing with formula, it's likely your period will return sooner than six months. Non-nursing moms: If you're formula-feeding your baby, you'll probably start menstruating one to three months after delivering your child. If you don't get your period by three months postpartum, talk to your doctor. She may want to check for secondary amenorrhea (that's when women with previously normal cycles don't have a period for three months), pregnancy, or other issues.

Read more

In my first pregnancy, it came as normal after delivery as its usual. And in my second pregnancy as m on breastfeeding, it came after 2 months, and with a li'l irregularity with my date. I usually gets my periods on the same date or just a 2-3 days gap. But now it becomes 5-7 days delay every month. My baby is now 7 months

Read more
VIP Member

There's no definitely timeline. Mine came back after 8.5mth post-partum for my 1st. Not sure when it'll come back for my 2nd...it is 8mth as of today. Lol! I've friends who got theirs after 2mths, a few more than a year later! So breastfeeding or not, it doesn't determine anything. It's our hormones that will decide for us.

Read more

I believed it depends on individual... and whether you breastfeeding too.... my 2nd child eventhough I breastfeeding. .. the menses come back within a month or 2... but for my little girl one who is 9 mths old now... as I am breastfeeding till four months... therefore it return after that.... hope it helps..

Read more

Your period will typically return about six to eight weeks after you give birth, if you aren't breastfeeding. If you do breastfeed, the timing for a period to return can vary. Those who practice exclusive breastfeeding might not have a period the entire time they breastfeed.

My 1st I'm unable to bf due to personal reason my mense came bck about 2mth. My 2nd i manage to bf and my mense came after 7mth thats when my milk production gets lesser coz lo drink formula ontop of bf. My workplace is not easy to pump milk out.

Ya agree top, but I knw that if you drink herbal soup or drink herbal tea period will last more longer. Roughly it will last about 10 days. so if can you should have you herbal drink after your period is better.

Depend on lotsa factors. Mine came back when baby was 9 months. Cos I was breastfeeding. How I wish it can be delayed further!! :) My colleague's 12 months later still yet to be back. She also breastfeeding.

It honestly varies from one person to the next and it could also depend on if you had a c-section or not but I would suggest that if it has been more than 2 months going back to your doctor

I don’t BF full time so my period came back in 3 months post-delivery both times. Although I’ve heard friends who BF full time and still have their period after a month post-delivery.