Is the odor from the chemicals being used for hair treatments like rebonding, dangerous to babies below 12 months?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I used to get chemical treatments done to my hair quite frequently and each time I'd get a headache. I believe that it was from the fumes and the smell of the hair products. Sometimes, I even felt nauseous. If it affected me THAT much, imagine what it would do to a baby whose immunity and defenses are not as strong and developed. These days, I do DIY hair treatments with organic hair products and if I do visit a salon, I try to do treatments that do not require me to sit for hours with smelly chemicals in my hair.

Read more

Children are very sensitive and their immune systems are not yet fully equipped to deal with dust, pollutants and chemical odors. If they are exposed to any of these, there is a good chance that they may develop some kind of allergy or infection. So it's best advised to keep children away from potentially harmful things. My baby is 6-months-old and I avoid using even perfumes and scents when I am around her.

Read more

I would say absolutely, the smell is incredibly strong and more often than not it gives many a headache, like people have described above. That's not to say to stop doing treatments for yourself, but maybe wash your hair or try and keep your baby away from your hair for a couple of days until the odour wears off.

Read more

thanks