Is food poisoning contagious? I think I may have caught food poisoning by sharing the same water bottle with my husband who happens to be down with food poisoning. And now I am scared I will pass it to my baby as I am nursing.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes, food poisoning can be contagious especially if they occur due to viruses, bacteria, and parasites that cause gastroenteritis. These are food-borne and can be contagious. Some of the most common types that are contagious include salmonella, E. coli, and norovirus. When you have food poisoning there will be germs in your saliva especially if you've been vomiting. Sharing a water bottle must have passed the germs from your husband to you. However, breastfeeding should not be affected by the food poisoning. As long as the symptoms are confined to the digestive tract (vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps), there is no risk to the baby if mommy breastfeeds. However if the food poisoning bacteria has passed into mommy's bloodstream (this is quite serious and mommy would most likely be hospitalised), then the bacteria would have reached the breast milk and breastfeeding should stop. http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/mom-illness/

Read more

It is unlikely that you will pass the bacteria through breast milk, but there is a chance that your baby may catch it if she, by any chance, was exposed to the same food that had given you or your husband food poisoning. That being said, the antibodies created by your body to fight the bacteria would be pass on to her through your breast milk and would help if she were exposed (to the same bacteria). In the meantime, do try to drink more water. Your supply may be affected as your body is losing a lot of fluid. Take care mummy! Must be very difficult and tiring for you to deal with food poisoning and still try to nurse your baby. Get as much rest as you can and hope you recover soon!

Read more