Bottle feeding - Formula

Im sorry I let out in this forum. I have mom guilt almost everyday cause lose my temper on my 3 month plus corrected age daughter. Before she enter infant care, her bottle feeding with formula has no issue. Every 3 hrs she surely drank 90ml at least. If not 120ml the max. This month she enter infant care as I need to go back to work to help my husband in family finance. Its been 2 weeks she has bottle feeding issue. She doesn't want to drink milk every 3 hrs. Some times 5 hrs after last fed or 8 hrs last fed then she drink. When I try to feed every 3hrs, she sucking but the milk in bottle never decrease. Few times suck then she screaming like in pain. So when to visit he PD. He do checks on her. She has no nose block, flu, cough, sore throat, teething, ulcer, thrush, fever, lung infection. He couldn't detect what wrong. Only he told me she could have no appetite due to mild viruses she gotten from infant care. Try not to force her to drink and wait for her cue if she want to drink. Afraid she will hate milk or bottle fed in future. I don't know whats wrong with her. She seems want to drink, but the milk never decrease. Few sucking, cry like in pain. Thought the teats, but PD say no need to change. My heart breaks to see her being like this. I rather she drink more milk then never. I dont know what to do mummies. Only GOD knows how I feel right now. #advicepls #1stimemom #pleasehelp #firstbaby

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I understand how you feel. My baby wasn’t drink well since her 3rd month and throughout her 3rd to 6-7th month she has been drinking only 100ml per feed. This makes us very paranoid and anxious, as her weight has always been an issue and we were very afraid that her weight will fall below the acceptable range. Each time we went to the pd, she told us it’s a phase don’t force feed. As she was drinking quite little so what we did was we feed on schedule but never force her to finish the milk so when she don’t want to drink we will stop. Rather waste the milk than forcing her to finish which will make matter worse. Anyway if you are using screw like bottle like pigeon bottle, do check the flow before feeding your baby. It might be too tight thus the milk can’t flow out. It happen once for us n we were like she was sucking but why the volume is still the same and ended up she feel asleep with empty stomach. You may consider hegen bottle. I prefer this than those pigeon bottle. All the best if you are feeling upset or frustrated get your hub to look after her while you walk out and take a deep breath to calm yourself down. The more stress and frustrated, your baby will feel the stress as well💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

Read more

hi mommy, im totally understand what do you feel. bcoz i face the same situation.. my boy don't want to drink (he's 4monts old) and already more than 3 weeks he really poor appetite, and last 2 weeks is the worst one, usually 24 hours he can drink >980ml but last 2 week just 500-600ml only.. i also feel heartbroken, i go PD to ask what happen, but PD said normal, not sick and sometimes baby like that. i even go to find second, third and forth opinion PD. but the result is same.. i tried to change milk, tried to change bottle, but my baby still dont want drink. until yesterday then suddenly he start to drink again.. no need to force and now he can drink 180ml/meal. Thanks God But i also don't know what happen with him at the time.. so maybe just be patient, slowly, and trust ur PD. sometimes worrying also cannot give us anything. i hope ur baby will be better soon, and will drink normally again.. keep strong mommy

Read more
3y ago

Hi, my son appetite already come back normal again. now he drink 150-180ml every 4 hours, so 24 hours about 980-1000ml. im understand that u must be really stress, i also have a same feeling at the time, but let's just keep monitors, if she's not getting better after a few week, you can visit ur PD again for follow up. Ohya previously i also try to change the teats to next stage, and he seems like enjoy drinking (but still not much), and sometimes i change back to his old teats. until about 1 weeks and he seems like enjoy a new teats, and drink duration become normal 8-10min. previously can be 20-25min and he fell a sleep. Maybe can try to change teats or bottle, or maybe can try to gave milk a bit but give more frequent. so at least she can meet her requires total milk ammount/days. pls take care ur self and dont be so stress, she will be better soon.. and be strong mom..

Hi, it is quite normal for babies to go through a milk strike around that age. When my daughter did that for almost a week, I was also very worried and lost - brought her to the PD and was informed about how typical milk strikes actually is. Try offering some milk in a cup or colourful spoon feeding so that baby may at least accept some nutrition. 😊

Read more

Hello mommy, every mommy faces these issues where they feel something is wrong with the baby or they are not able to understand what is wrong, do not worry :) if the doc has mentioned not to worry and force feed, just go with the doc advice. It must be just a phase, as long as baby's weight is increasing, nothing to worry about

Read more
Super Mum

Is either there’s colic or maybe your baby is going through a milk strike. You can offer milk but don’t force. The more you force , the more baby scream & associate negative vibe with drinking & don’t even want to drink further. Baby will drink when they are hungry. Just offer & make the feeding session a pleasant one

Read more

thank you for the advises mummies.. Its just that I feel so worried for her.. She every 3 hrs she will drink 90ml.. Sometimes she could hit 120-150ml.. Its been 3 weeks she didn't drink her milk every 3 hrs.. I'm afraid she will go dehyrdate.. As she born prematurely at 34weeks, its just worried me..

Read more

Hi, Sometimes we just need to take a step back and not worry too much. If the doctors advises not to worry then we just need to relax and not worry too much :) Gradually it will all be fine

Read more

Hi u can go to another PD for 2nd opinion ? Also , can try gripe water for colic or cycle her leg

one*