Oral Glucose Tolerance Test - Help!!

I'm having my OGTT tomorrow morning. I'm fasting from 6pm today though they told me to fast only from midnight. Apart from fasting anything else I need to do? What should I expect tmrw? I mean if someone could explain on the OGTT procedure and expected result, it would be good help. If my results come abnormal will I be retested trmw itself or will I be given medicine to control it? Sorry for so many questions. #1stimemom here 🙂

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Best to eat something now before you start fasting at 12 midnight. If not you might feel hungry or faint tomorrow as the test takes quite some time. Sips of water is allowed even though you're fasting. There will be 3 blood tests taken. After the first blood test, you'll be given an orange drink to consume within 10 minutes. Don't rush it down as you'll have to redo if you vomit. Second blood test will be one hour after the first and the third, another hour after. During this whole time, you are not allowed to eat anything. You can only eat after your third blood test is done. Results will not be out immediately. If nothing is wrong, you will not be notified. They will only call you, within a day or two, if your results shows GD. I'm not sure about the procedures if confirmed to have GD since I don't have it. But your doctor will advise more about it. Hope this helps.

Read more

Better eat before midnight. You'll be there for 2 whole hours and no eating is allowed, only sips of water. And you'll be super duper hungry and thirsty. Your 1st blood will be taken then you'll be given this super sweet orange drink and have to drink within 5 mins (10 mins for other hospital maybe but 5 mins for me). I was lucky that I was given ice cold. If you vomit, you have to re-take the test. 1 hr later, another tube of blood will be taken. Then another in an hr later + you'll see gynae too (in between the test). They will call you within days if the result is not good. No calls means you're fine.

Read more