Can I fast for Ramadhan?

Hi. I'm currently 6 weeks pregnant. Is it okay for me to fast for ramadhan? Thanks in advance. 😊 #pregnancy #advicepls #firstbaby

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Firstly, take note that pregnant and breastfeeding women are not obligated to fast as we are caring for our child. Secondly, ask your doctor first for advice just in case if there are some health concerns during your pregnancy. Since you are at your first trimester, might be inadvisable. Thirdly, if you do attempt to fast, make sure it is high in nutrition and you get fully hydrated. Watch for red flags while fasting such as dizziness, very yellow pee, etc. Many women can manage to fast at various stages with no problem and some cannot. Don't feel bad. I, myself did not fast for both pregnancies at 2nd trimester as I tend to feel light headed and it is not safe for me, especially I am also carrying my first child.

Read more
2y ago

Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate it! It helps me in understanding it better.. 😊

I'm in my 2nd pregnancy now and at 6 weeks too like you! Been fasting since the first day cz I'm still feeling fine. 2 years ago I was also pregnant during Ramadhan and alhamdulillah managed to fast the whole mth. I was in my first trimester too but my symptoms were mild with occasional nausea and fatigue. It was a blessing tt time cz it was WFH so I cld fast easily. My Muslim gynae did not stop me frm fasting as he said to follow my body, and take lots of nutritious food. No complications during pregnancy and baby grew well. I delivered a 3.6kg baby in Dec 2020. I'd say follow ur body! Don't force it if u don't feel well but if u're fine, u can fast. Tawakkal and lots of doa.

Read more

was about 6-8 months pregnant during Ramadhan with my firstborn. tried fasting and by 9am i was alr puking bile bcos of empty stomach. but now im pregnant with second child and im fasting but all is well. u just have to listen to your body. personally at first trimester i dont think u shld fast and we are not obligated to anyway. but if you feel ok fasting then please do so. make sure ur sahur is nutritional & like the other mummy say, hydration is important. All the best, Ramadhan Mubarak.

Read more
2y ago

I see. Okay noted. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! Ramadhan Kareem to you if you're celebrating! 😊

for first trimester, it is when ur baby is developing major organs and it is a really crucial time especially since the pregnancy is not at a stable stage yet.. i personally did not fast for this exact reason. but its your personal choice first and foremost. you know your body best.

2y ago

i agree with this! i fasted during my third trimester and i managed fine. but personally i feel first trimester is crucial and especially 6 weeks js still very early. do check with your gynae and listen to your body!