Help on Oscar scan (hypoplastic nasal bone)

Hello all!! I went for oscar nt scan at 12 weeks exact. Neck skin thickness is alright, but the nasal bone is not obvious and dr used the term "hypoplastic nose" and gotta wait for a week for the results and i am so anxious! Does anyone has any clue abt this eg if the blood result risk is good, do i take another scan a week after to scan for the nose again? Or do i take nipt + another scan for the nose too? Just exploring the possibilities in advance. I do read that the nose does grow slower in some asian babies and i hope that's for my case. Pls share with me if you have been thru sth similiar, would certainly appreciate it. Thank you! #pregnancy #firstbaby #pleasehelp

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

i had this issue when i had my first kid. nasal bone cant be seen thus im labelled as high risk. i did worry for a while thinking if i should take another test. but my hub did ask me like if we find out that its not good, will i abort or keep. if i will abort then can take. if i want keep den might as well don take. but i had a dream about my baby telling me he is alright, don worry etc. end of the day i did not take any extra test. his nasal bone can also be seen during FA scan. the Nuh prof mentioned Asians nose not ss sharp as Caucasians, thus its not something unusual that e nasal bone cant be seen. but my boy did have a flatter nose bridge, haha.. but its ok! healthy is important :)

Read more
3y ago

Dear Michelle, thank u so much for the reply. It gives me hope and assurance that perhaps things are better 🧡 was the oscar blood test result ok? Or high risk too may i ask? Thank you!

Been through the same case too one month ago during my 12 week Oscar scan, bb’s nasal bone was a bit underdeveloped so doctor labelled me as intermediate risk and my Gynae recommended me to do further testing. Went down to take Panorama test without a thought, and waited 2 weeks for the result and final results came back as Low risk. And it was a huge load off our minds. So I would strongly suggest if you can afford, just do the further testing NIPT be it harmony or panorama ☺️ hope all goes well for u!

Read more
3y ago

No need to return for the scan. They will just draw your blood and send to US for the panorama test. Cause the test straightaway tests using DNA, so it’s 99% accurate for downsyndrome and 10 other genetic syndromes. When the results come back within 10-14 days then the clinic will inform you again.

My baby’s nasal bone is also not found during the scan and it brought my risk up to intermediate. I’m currently waiting for 16 week and 20 weeks scan to look for nasal bone as well 🙏🏻🙏🏻

3y ago

Yea can try and look for nasal bone then as well :)