Low breast milk supply for first time mom

I pump irregularly due to lack of rest but when I start pumping, my milk supply is low. How to increase milk supply??#advicepls

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Totally understand you. Been there and struggled. If you don’t pump regularly to signal your body that it needs to produce more milk, the demand will naturally decrease. Our breast milk works like a supply and demand, so the lesser the milk removed, the lower the supply. Start pumping regularly (3hourly), add in a power pump till your supply is up. If baby can latch, latch. Drink lots of fluid. Most importantly, don’t stress. I know it sounds like BS to ask you to rest more and not stress but these two affects greatly on the supply. Sleep when baby is sleeping, invest in 2 sets of pump parts if you don’t want to wash immediately after pumping. Don’t look at the amount while pumping. Alternatively, can try sunflower lecithin and supplements. I ordered mine from Legendairy milk which helps for me.

Read more
2y ago

Alright will do thank you so much for your kind words 😊

same i struggled as well.. took lactation cookies, milk and tea.. then i gave up and focused on rest first. now slowly and gradually i saw some increase.. like 10ml? but power pump works for me very well, can try pumping at night and MOTN if possible, thats when supply is higher. then consolidate all ur pumps into one bottle according to baby's feed, it will motivate u instead of looking at per pump session. fyi im pumping like 40-50ml/session only

Read more
2y ago

Yes the guilt is there too though😞I will still try to pump irregardless of the feeling thank you!

Latching helps, even if baby not sucking. but if it's too stress, it's ok to go for FM, fed is best. Mama's mental health is most important, happy mummy happy baby. All the best

2y ago

Thank you! As of last week she stop latching cause she’s hungry so im using FM now😔

I too have the same issue. I try my best to pump while I can and after u consolidate it is one feed.

2y ago

Good job keep it up! I tried and will still trying but for now i give FM feed cause she cries for hunger