Confinement nanny necessary?

I have a helper and my mother will be living with me during confinement period. What's the main benefits for having a nanny? #adviceplease

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

list down the chores and confirm with your mother what is she able to help with. indeed baby will just eat sleep poop initially... so u can sleep after they eat and fall asleep... but whether do u need to do any chores (washing bottles, household chores etc)? speaking from experience as my mother came over n did not help much on household chores. she did bathe baby, cook red date tea for me. rest of the time she will tell me let my hubby wash everything and do all other chores while i rest. so obviously i also feel bad letting my hubby do everything when he still working and also lack of sleep.. so end up i also did some chores, meaning i didnt get enuff rest. so it would be good to confirm with ur mum what she will be helping with (eg bathing, changing diaper) and ur helper doing the usual chores... and for convenience sake it might be better getting confinement meals sent to u unless ur mum n helper can cook those... u will also need to be comfortable letting them do the chores (eg washing bottles and pump parts require v good hygiene and proper cleaning). good luck and enjoy motherhood!!

Read more

Nanny can do night feedings if u wld like to give baby bottle right frm the start. but if u want establish milk supply, better to latch and wait till 2 or 3 months. For me I decided not to have nanny as my mom cld teach me how to bathe baby etc and I'd like to exclusively breastfeed my baby. The money I saved from not taking confinement nanny I used it to take confinement food package and massage instead. Indeed it'll be hard at night cz baby wld feed every 1-2 hours, sometimes, it feels like all the time but just persevere for tt first month. I had csect but I took turns with hubby at night to change baby diaper. Only aft hubby went bck to work aft the first wk I sleep with my mom some nights to get her help at night. but mostly u shld be able to handle it urself.

Read more

i didnt get nanny. i had csec and give formula milk btw. i ordered confinement food ($2k). my mum only come and help during the day (few hours). learnt how to bathe baby from her. most of the time just me and my hubby and we managed quite well actually. my hubby did night shift while i rest to recuperate. 1st mth baby will sleep after feed so there is actually time to rest and do other things. but of coz depends on individual baby. my boy is really nice to just eat poo sleep. not much crying. it only get difficult after past the 1st mth where he has more wake period and more cranky.

Read more

I got a nanny to learn from her,and coz I didn't want to impose on my parents or in laws. I think having the rest at night really helped. The nanny also cooks, and imo, tastes better than the catered confinement food ,which I had also tried before. Nanny also preps my herbal bath and does basic household chores like laundry and bottle and pump parts washing. That helps a lot in the first month when I was adjusting and recovering from csec

Read more

I think having a confinement nanny really helps, it was quite a while since my mum last took care of a baby so there are things my mum wasn't too sure and the uncertainty can add on to the stress and worry. also the washing and waking up at night to take care of the baby can be quite tiring and I was also concerned due to the age of my mum. so with a nanny all these worries are addressed and reduced, and I could rest properly

Read more

Nanny will be more experienced in taking care of a newborn compared to your mother (unless she recently took care of baby?) and helper definitely! And nanny to take care of night feedings. You may not trust your helper initially first for night feedings and don’t think you’ll want to trouble your mother to.. my helper learnt from the nanny during confinement which helped a lot after she left! :)

Read more

I paid for deposit for one and now thinking if I should just forfeit it after reading some horror stories. If like what you say first month baby just sleeps and poos then why need nanny since she only here one month only

Is your mom willing to take care of the baby during your confinement? Is she going to cook your confinement food and ordinary food for the rest of the family? And all the night feedings too.

not necessary for me even though it's just me and my spouse, no extra help. but if you get a nanny hopefully you get one whom you can see eye to eye to or you will find it torturous.

If helper or mom able to care for baby idt nanny is needed.