pumping breastmilk

how long shuld i pump ? i just gave birth and i use the pump but its rlly slow and there isnt alot ... what are some tips in pumping coz my milk doesnt seem like its flowing but when i express manually theres alot ...

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

How long since you gave birth? It takes a few days after birth for your milk to produce. I only had droplets of colostrum for the first couple of days. I had 20ml by the 3rd day. It hurts so much to latch, so I pumped even though nothing came out at first. Despite the horrible pain, I continued to latch cause it stimulates the milk production. I could also pump out 45ml and 70ml back home with Spectra S1 (plus) on my 4th day. With constant pumping, max 5 times a day I could yield 850ml on my 8th day. Your body will produce more if you pump and latch more. My nipples crack when I latch before I pump so I made sure to latch in between pumps or when my nipples are stimulated enough to tahan the pain. I also apply nipple cream after every pump. I’m 10 days PP today (28 July) and I can’t go more than 4-6hrs without pumping cause my breasts will hurt so badly. So I need to efficiently drain out by latching or pumping. It gets better everyday, so hang in there and be patient. Make sure you drink plenty of water cause breastmilk is made out of 88% water. I drink a bottle after every latch. You can also do power pumping maybe once a day 20 mins pump 10 mins rest (drink water) 10 mins pump 10 mins rest (drink water) 10 mins pump Good luck and all the best!

Read more

I am a FTM and all my family and friends say to stay patient and trust the process. The more u stick with it and the more regularly you pump and bf, the more milk u will produce. Proper diet, rest and hydration are also factors. If u have more when u express manually, then maybe it’s a pump issue. If it’s a new pump, u can ask the store consultants for help, or hire a lactation consultant?

Read more

For me after using pumps for 7 months since birth. I realised manual express is way faster. But it does get hurt and rash. So doctor prescribed me Ceradan to apply after that. Do what makes you feel comfortable. Definately pros and cons. 😊

VIP Member

I know of friends who ditched the pump and expressed manually. They say it’s so much faster and more efficient for them. :)

I changed breast pump and it works better after switching to spectra!

Did you check your flange size?