Oral Clindamycin in First Trimester

Hi! Has anyone been prescribed oral clindamycin in first trimester? How did it go for you? I have been prescribed this antibiotics to treat BV at 10 weeks but I’m really worried as I’ve read reports that say taking clindamycin in first trimester increases the chance of organ-related malformation. #pleasehelp #Needadvice

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Generally, taking oral clindamycin in the first trimester of pregnancy is not associated with an increased risk of organ related malfunctions. There’s no conclusive studies that proves it does. The American fda categorises this as a level B drug during pregnancy. A category b drug is where Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women That said there are studies that have shown the negative impact of taking clindamycin during breastfeeding. Clindamycin has the potential to cause adverse effects on the breastfed infant's gastrointestinal flora. If oral or intravenous clindamycin is required by a nursing mother, it is not a reason to discontinue breastfeeding, but an alternate drug may be preferred.

Read more
2y ago

Thanks for the detailed info and reassurance!

I was like you too initially , googling this and googling that to find out the side effect of clindamycin to treat BV, stressing myself out. My husband reassured me to trust the gynae that the medication for pregnancy is safe to be taken, otherwise they wouldn't prescribe unnecessarily.

2y ago

My husband said the same thing! Thank you ❤️ I think I really needed to hear this.

I completed my course of antibiotic at week 9-10 as well. It’s more important to treat BV now because it may increase the chances of miscarriages. I had bleeding for 5-6 days possibly due to BV so I rather take the antibiotics to ensure my fetus is safe. Hope this helps.