Short femur length

Just did growth scan at wk 30. Doctor said head and tummy size are good but femur length is short. Had done Harmony test and FTS and results for both are low risk for Down Syndrome. Doctor mentioned short femur length is probably constitutional and can cause baby to have fractures easily in future and also risk of dwarfism. Freaking me out. Scheduled for another growth scan in a month time. Appreciate anyone who has similar experience on this for advice.#pleasehelp #advicepls #1stimemom

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hi there, I honestly feel that scans are estimates at best.I may not have had the same experience but I thought I’d chime in here. While anxieties are common during pregnancy, sometimes it’s good to just breathe and relax. As humans we like to think the worst of things when there’s a possibility that there’s nothing wrong at all :) I know that relaxing is easier said than done but let’s put it this way - being anxious would increase the levels of adrenaline which your baby can definitely feel :) Further, you’ve been doing such a fantastic job so far - birth is a beauty and force of nature, sometimes very much beyond our control. Just breathe mama and keep up the great work you’re doing :)

Read more

don't worry mama! my first boy was also said to have shorter than average femur length, but my doctor calmed me and told me not to worry. a lot of times it may be because the baby did not have enough space to stretch out in vivo, but once born, they will grow and expand really fast into healthy, normal babies! do not overthink too much, and just enjoy your pregnancy!

Read more

Doctors have to lay out most possible scenarios to you but it may not necessarily be the case. You have come so far to wk 30 already and i believe everything is good! Stay positive and dun overthink things… in weeks to come ya baby may gain more length

I had the growth scan today at 29 weeks and was told the same thing. Scheduled another scan in 4 weeks time. My doctor asked not to worry as it could be constitutional. Let’s stay positive and hope for the best.

2y ago

Hi mama, I have popped at 37w. Baby is a little on the small side but she looks proportional. She is 4 months now. Her height is not that bad though her weight is at 3rd percentile but I guessed its easier to work on that. Mama, just eat well and maybe baby will experience a growth spurt soon. I was controlling my diet initially as I was afraid that baby might grow too big and would be difficult during birth. So, eat more, eat well and stay positive! Stress will also affect baby's growth

Hi! How’s ur baby doing & Sorry do you mind sharing the femur length at wk30? Mine is also short at wk32. :(