Diabetic & 6 wks pregnant. off my normal meds, started insulin. Blood Sugar 6-10. Will it harm baby

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, I’m a diabetic too. Yes high glucose levels will have risk to your baby and YOU. It is important to monitor glucose levels frequently and control your diet. For pregnancy, pre meals are recommended to be within the range of 4.4-5.5 mmol/l and 2 hours after meals (from start of meal) is below 6.6. Anything more than 6.6 is not ideal. You can read the risk on gestational diabetes as it’s the same risks as having diabetes prior to pregnancy. And for having diabetes prior to pregnancy, we are at higher risk because our glucose levels may spike even from the first trimester. Was it your doctor that stopped your normal meds? I am around 5.9 hba1c prior to pregnancy. But with pregnancy, my doctor increased metformin from twice a day to three times a day 500mg, and pre-meals insulin at 8 units for breakfast, 4 units for lunch and 4 units for dinner. With pregnancy the glucose levels will continue to spike more, so doctor has already prepped that I may start another bedtime dose of insulin sometime in 2nd trimester. I am currently 13 weeks and going for follow up this wed for a review.

Read more

Thank you for the reply. Yes, it was my doctor who stopped my existing medication. I was on Janumet and Jardiance which kept my sugar levels low and in check. My 3 monthly Hb1Ac levels were at 6.0 before pregnancy. Currently I'm on Metphormine 2 times a day, 8 to 10 units of Novarapid insulin before each meal and 22 units of Levermin at bedtime. But my fasting sugar is still at 5.9 to 6.9 range and post meals vary from 5.5 to 10.9 at the highest. I have cut down alot of my diet and am also taking those bitter gourd juice, okra juice etc to bring down the sugar but to no avail..

Read more
2y ago

Ah i see. Yes. Will need to control diet. Not sure if your doctor asks you to monitor your glucose pre and post meals? I have to do that twice a week. And the doctor is quite particular that even with good hba1c, it’s still impt to ensure meals are controlled well. The range I was given is 4.4-5.5 pre meals. 5.5-6.6 post meals - 2 hrs from start of meal. The aim is to trick the body to have “no diabetes”, meaning having it at extremely good range throughout pregnancy so that the risks lowers for us and baby. 😊