Any dada out there who have problem soothing the baby to sleep? For some reason every time I cradle the baby, the baby will cry within seconds. I am doing exactly the same technique as what my Wife or my mom or mid Wife. But for some reason it's always crying when I carry him. That makes me feel very down and out and useless. I just try to support my Wife emotionally, run errands and change diapers. I worry she might physically be very tired

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Baby just need some getting used to (you will need time for baby to identify you as one of his/her primary caregivers). Spending more time with baby would help. You can also try having skin-on-skin contact once baby is fine with you holding him/her. I've heard that it works for daddy too. Another tip is to be around when your wife/your mother is handling the baby. Talk to the baby and help by handing stuff to your wife/mother. Slowly, see if you could help take over the job with your wife/mother around. It's very sweet of you to help your wife, she will definitely appreciates it! Don't be discourage. As with all things when it comes to babies, patience and perseverance is key! All the best daddy! :)

Read more

It's normal, I reckon. Baby's so used to being with mom and nanny that dad is sometimes not preferred. Don't give up! Eventually baby will get used to being cradled by you. Consistently hold baby for a few hours a day if possible and get baby used to the "feeling" of dad. Baby knows you're someone close and important, it's just that at his young age, baby is just more familiar with those who are always around him (mom for milk, nanny for many other occasions). You're doing a stand-up job already -- helping whenever you can. Don't be disheartened and just keep being an awesome dad :)

Read more