Can TCM massage helps in baby's jaundice?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mommy, apparently I have heard that acupuncture will be more effective for children but of course for newborns, we are not going to do acupuncture, but will do massage or the system within Chinese Medicine called tuina (twee-na). Babies often heal and change quickly. I have come across this article that researchers from the Shahid Hasheminejhad Hospital in Iran conducted a study evaluating the effect of massage therapy on bilirubin levels (jaundice) in premature babies. They evaluated 40 premature newborns in their NICU and divided them into two groups – one a massage therapy treatment group and the other a conventional treatment group. Conventional treatment is generally phototherapy (light therapy) until the bilirubin levels decrease. The massage group received the same phototherapy treatment as the control group with the addition of two sessions of 20 minute massage daily. Researchers then measured bilirubin levels and bowel movements to evaluate the effectiveness of the massage therapy addition. They found a significant reduction in bilirubin levels and a significant increase in bowel movements in the treatment group vs. the control group. They conclude that through massage therapy the bilirubin level in preterm newborns can be controlled and a need for phototherapy can also be delayed. Although the reasoning behind this change is not understood from this study. Perhaps it is a simple improvement in circulation, perhaps it just simply touch. I would say no harm in bring your baby for a nice massage, well we adults do enjoy massages. I am sure the baby will enjoy being massaged. https://yinyanghouse.com/bodywork/study-finds-infant-massage-can-lower-bilirubin-levels-in-preterm-newborns

Read more

Hi... my baby got a jaundice condition after a few days when I’m giving birth... the doctor suggest to have a photo therapy for 24hrs... and thank god after 24 hrs the condition of my baby become better but I continue our tradition that if your baby have a jaundice or become a yellowish after a few days of giving birth try to warm him/her in a few minutes or maybe 1 hr in the sun( sunrise in the morning until 8am )...

Read more

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-4685)

Hi Jasmine, I have not heard before tcm massage will help in bringing down baby's jaundice. Cutting down ginger and alcohol intake during confinement will slightly help; but they are not the cause to it.

Read more
VIP Member

I think better trust proper medicine