Procedure during labour in labour room.

Anyone can share the procedure in labour room? Will they be taking blood test etc? Thanks in adv!

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I laboured at home after my water broke as I didn’t want to go to the hospital and be strapped to the bed (they do that to monitor you). I wanted the option to move around as I believe that would help me manage the pain better (which it did for me) Got to a&e, they checked my dilation, waited for delivery suite to be ready, wheeled up and once I was fully dilated, I could push. All done within an hour of reaching the hospital. I guess they may also cut your perineum to allow the baby’s head to come through, so that’s a possible procedure too. But you can opt not to do it like me, just that I have a tear instead of a cut… so either way there’ll be stitches. The use of forceps/suction, you can discuss with your gynae and talk about it. Generally don’t think they’ll use it unless absolutely necessary. Only thing they did other than asking me to push was to insert a catheter in my hand “in case of an emergency” but was not used at all.

Read more
3y ago

This is so informative!!!!

I rmb having my blood taken coz i was donating cord blood. Cant rmb why but they took a couple of tubes (i tink my vein couldnt tahan so failed).. and once for my glucose lvl.

VIP Member

Hmm. In pain so can’t really rmbr what the nurses did.. bt thr was no blood test