Baby wakes up at night to lick her hand

My 4mo has been waking up in the middle of the night to lick her hand, or even her sleeves, if her hands are covered by her sleeves. She does that with her eyes closed and only stops if we swaddle her tighter and keep her hands out of her reach. However she is getting stronger and also starting to flip, so it seems like the swaddle won’t be a solution in the long run. Any advice on how to get her to sleep better? #advicepls #firsttimemom

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Ahhh mummy, my baby is 4 months and also the exact same situation! Will forever break out of swaddle no matter how tight we wrap him! He’s using velcro swaddle. And even flip in his sleep. Which he end up waking up and cry. They suck on sleeve or finger to self soothe. For me i would give him pacifier when i see him sucking on his finger. Cause when he suck, he cannot really sleep “peacefully”. When its bedtime, i would change diaper, give pacifier, swaddle him tight using velcro swaddle, on white noise.

Read more
3mo ago

Ah yes, I’ve heard of them sucking fingers to self soothe. So I tried to let her do so without stopping her but she continued for half an hour. 😩 thought it was disrupting her sleep for too long! Sigh, we are not really keen on the pacifier though. I’ll use that as the last resort! Thanks for your suggestion!

Suck fingers vs suck pacifier. I feel it’s better to suck pacifier as it can be thrown away later to kick the habit whereas you can’t throw the fingers away.