Throwing things, Screaming, Hitting Self, Putting fingers in mouth... How to stop such behaviours?

My 23 months old toddler keeps throwing things, screaming or whimpering when things don't go her way. When reminded gently or reprimanded harshly, will hit others or self and start putting fingers into her mouth. Is this a phrase that will pass or is she exhibiting such behavioral issues which need professional assistance? (This has been ongoing for a couple of months and no matter how we coax, persuade, explain or scold, she just vent her anger and frustrations by throwing tantrums etc.) From other posts, it seems like younger child 15 months to 20 months will tend to do that but she is already coming to 2 years old! Some say ignoring them will destroy their confidence and sense of security, while others say don't give in, ignore and just let them cry it out. Feeling abit helpless. #pleasehelp #advicepls

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mummy! My son is also 23 months now and I’m going through the same! Some days it gets better. But it will always go back to square one. I’m still trying to figure out what to do too. Hang in there!

Are other parts of your toddler's life ok? Is she sleeping ok? Drinking enough? Any clues like time of day or events that trigger her?

2y ago

I would try to fix these 2 issues first. Difficult sleep will definitely affect your child's mood. Not drinking enough and putting hands in the mouth.., maybe check for mouth ulcers? I think if you can fix these 2 things, then your child will be more calm.

caning might just work since soft approach dosent. dont wait till he/she become spoilt