Vegan Pad Krapow (Thai Basil Stir-Fry)
Lunch, Dinner, Snack
- 3 tbsps vegetable oil
- 3 Holland chilies thinly sliced
- 1-2 Thai bird's eye chilies thinly sliced
- 3 shallots thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 package seitan/vegan chicken (227g, chopped into small bits)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsps light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce (optional non-vegan ingredient)
- 2-3 tbsps boiled water
- 1 bunch holy or Thai basil leaves (de-stemmed, washed)
- Juice of half a lime (optional)
- In a wok over high heat, add the oil, chilies, shallots and garlic, and fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the vegan chicken, and stir-fry for 30 seconds, spreading evenly in a single layer. Then let the vegan chicken brown, stirring occasionally to sear it evenly.
- Add the sugar, light soy sauce (add half the amount if using fish sauce), and dark soy sauce. At this point, add the fish sauce if you are pescatarian/flexitarian.
- Stir-fry for another minute, and deglaze the pan with water. Because your pan is over high heat, the liquid should cook off very quickly.
- Add the basil, and stir-fry until wilted. Finish with fresh lime juice (optional, but a good opportunity for extra tang and flavor, especially for those omitting the fish sauce!). Serve over steamed rice!
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.