- 11/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, soy sauce, onion powder, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Mix with your hands.
- Using your hands, divide the mixture into four lightly packed balls. Flatten each ball into 3/4-inch-thick patties. Use your thumb to make a light indentation in the center of each patty.
- In a covered Dutch oven, bring about 1 inch of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Place the patties in a steamer basket, and place the steamer basket in the pot. Cover and cook for about 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top of each patty. Cover and let sit for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Place a top hamburger bun on each patty. Put the bottom bun with the cut side up, on top of the top buns. Cover for 30 seconds to let the buns soften.
- Remove buns and patties from the steamer basket. Assemble the cheeseburger, adding condiments as desired.
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.