- 1 fresh spinach , large stems removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion , minced
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese , finely grated;
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano , finely chopped (or 1 tsp dried oregano);
- 10 oz boneless pork shoulder , ground
- 10 oz boneless beef chuck , ground
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash spinach and place in a large pan with some water. Cook over high heat, stirring until the spinach wilts and softens. Remove from heat, drain, and squeeze the spinach in between two plates to remove excess water. Chop the spinach finely.
- Put the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat, then add the onion, garlic, black pepper, and salt. Lower the heat and stir until the onions become translucent. Be careful not to burn the garlic!
- Add the spinach. Cook, stirring for about two more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg and milk. Add the breadcrumbs, parmesan, parsley, oregano, and a pinch of salt. Stir until well combined.
- Add the ground pork, ground beef, and spinach mixture. Using your hands, mix until well combined.
- Using the mixture, form 2-inch, firmly packed meatballs. Place them on the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in the preheated oven. Turn the pan around halfway through, to ensure even baking. The balls should begin to brown on top.
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.