Braised Coconut Spinach with Chickpeas
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large lemon , zested
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (same zested lemon can be used)
- 1 14-oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk
- Salt , to taste
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a heavy pot, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Mix in the ginger, garlic, tomatoes, lemon zest and red pepper if using. Stir for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the chickpeas. Increase to high heat and stir until the chickpeas turn golden. Make sure it is well coated with the spices.
- Add a handful of spinach in batches, allowing for it to wilt before adding another. Stir well.
- Pour the coconut milk, ground ginger, and lemon juice. Season with salt. Let it simmer, then lower the heat to medium low and continue on for another 10mins. Taste to see if more lemon juice, salt or other spices are needed.
- Serve with rice, couscous or quinoa.
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.