Agedashi Tofu with Black Pepper Broth
- 1/4 cup kombu tsuyu , substitute- soy sauce
- 2 tbsps black pepper base , (recipe in steps)
- Vegetable oil , to fry
- 100 g kuzu , cooking starch. Substitute- corn starch
- 2 x 450 g , drained, cut into 5cm pieces
- Shaved bonito , to serve
- Long green shallots , sliced to serve
- BLACK PEPPER BASE:
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 8 eschalots , finely chopped
- 50 g fresh ginger finely grated (we used a microplane)
- 10 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup mirin
- 50 g whole black peppercorns , crushed
- 1/4 cup black vinegar (from specialty food shops and Asian grocers)
- For the black pepper base, heat the grapeseed oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the eschalot, ginger and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes until softened. Add remaining ingredients and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes until reduced by half. Set aside 2 tbs of black pepper base for this recipe. Cool remaining mixture, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate or freeze for another use.
- To make the black pepper broth, combine kombu tsuyu, 2 tbs reserved black pepper base (or to taste) and 400ml water in a medium saucepan. Stand for 12-15 minutes, then place over medium- high heat and bring to the boil. Turn off heat and stand for 30 minutes to infuse.
- Meanwhile, half-fill a medium saucepan with vegetable oil. Place over high heat and heat to 170°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 60 seconds when the oil is hot enough). Place kuzu and tofu in a bowl and toss gently to coat. In batches, fry tofu for 4-5 minutes until lightly golden and crisp. Remove using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Season to taste.
- Divide tofu among bowls and pour over broth. Scatter with shaved bonito and sliced long green shallot to serve.
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.