Sake-Poached Chicken with Soba Noodles
- 20 g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Japanese cooking sake
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsps caster sugar
- 2 cups Massel Chicken Style Liquid Stock
- 2 x 180 g small skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 bok choy or choy sum
- 270 g packets soba noodles
- 150 g enoki mushrooms
- 1 red chili , thinly sliced
- Place the shiitake in a heatproof bowl and cover with 2 cups (500ml) hot water. Set aside for 5 minutes, then drain, reserving the mushroom liquid.
- Place the sake, soy sauce, sugar, chicken stock and reserved mushroom liquid into a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken, return to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the chicken over, add the bok choy and cook for a further 5-7 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and bok choy from the saucepan, transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Bring the broth back to a simmer. Add the noodles, enoki and shiitake. Cook for 7 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Use tongs to divide the noodles among bowls. Shred the chicken and top noodles with chicken, mushrooms, bok choy and sliced red chilli. Spoon poaching broth into bowls to serve.
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.