Prenatal insurance plan

Do you purchase any prenatal insurance plan? I am initially looking to buy a maternity insurance plan for myself but the insurance agent keeps asking me to bundle with a plan for baby (life or investment-linked). I wonder if it is necessary to buy now. Also why life or investment linked insurance for baby? I think of buying hospitalization plan and maybe education fund after the baby is born. #advicepls #firstbaby #pregnancy

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hello! I’m in the same situation as you. After much thought, I’ll be getting a standalone plan rather than a bundled one. For some standalone plans, there is also the option of buying life insurance w/o medical underwriting within a certain number of days IF you want to. I also plan to buy IP and Accidents for the baby after its born. Agents tell you to buy bundled cus they get more commission. But there are good reasons for buying la; if you do, your baby can get life insurance without medical underwriting (means any congenital defects will be covered). If you don’t and bb is born with some defects/conditions, it can be difficult to get bb health insurance in the future. But overall the chances of not having a healthy baby are low la unless you have some hereditary conditions or are an older mum etc. And honestly the life insurance offered by the bundled plans are not really value for money imo.

Read more
2y ago

i think it is good to have a maternity plan that offers gurantee issuance of shield plan upon application within certain days after the baby is born. *touch wood* hospitalization cost in Singapore is expensive.

i wanted to but was rejected. it’s not necessary but good to have. life or investment linked depends on your current means and priorities. also critical illness for baby if you can afford it. (i’m not an agent but speaking from personal purchase)

I just signed for a bundle plan with AIA. But am wondering if getting a life plan after the child is born is better?

It’s the company’s requirements. Some companies got standalone plans of which you can look into.

2y ago

Thanks I will check. I am in week 15 now. I should have started earlier as soon as I found out I was pregnant. My friend who just has a baby told me to get a plan before week 20.