Swallowing pills

Hi mummies, I have an issue from young where I can’t swallow pills. Even Panadol, I’ll have to crush or dissolve. And now most prenatal vitamins are soft gel huge capsules. Especially DHA, fish oil and a few other. I’ve tried swallowing but always end up gagging. People tell me that you can’t break or squeeze through soft gel pills as it will not be effective enough. Does anyone face this issue as well? Could you advice me what you did or what alternative to these prenatal pills did you consume instead? #advicepls #firstbaby

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

i totally feel you. I'm the same as you. But after going thru 4 rounds of ivf, i have kindof forced myself to swallow pills even though i still need to focus to swallow (only can do it in my kitchen without anyone near me/talking to me) and 1 out of 10 times i still choke on it. I started swallowing small folic acid.. then slowly moved to bigger pills. My trick is to put a lot of water in my mouth with the pill, move pill back and forth in my mouth and when it's floating inside and i cannot feel it, faster move the water/pill towards throat and swallow. You can do it!

Read more
2y ago

Thank you for your reply! You’ve such strength to go through that 🤍 god bless you. I’ll try to do that as well. I end up puking so that scares me to even try sometimes. But thank you for your suggestion

I was prescribed prenavit (small tablets) for prenatal vitamins. I didn’t take any fish oil but there are liquid fish oils out there, but you have to take note that the smell will definitely be worse than the capsule 😅. However in terms of effectiveness, I think that eating is better than completely not eating at all.

Read more
2y ago

Yeah I bought the Scott’s fish oil instead. I heard it smells horrible too haha but I guess I don’t have a choice too. Better than nothing. Thank you for your reply

I have the same issue too. Saw a video on tiktok. You can try to look down (chin down) to swallow the pill instead of looking up. It helps for me!

2y ago

Thank you so much!! I’ll try that 😊

You should try prenatal gummies! My friend recommended - It’s just like eating a sweet. (:

2y ago

Do you have any recommendations? As I’m looking for smth with no sugar if possible that’s effective. Some of them I heard it’s not that effective