Oscar test.

Hi mommies, can I just check with you all for the 12 weeks Oscar test will be just collection of blood sample or with scan too? TIA~

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yup, OSCAR has an US scan! They need to actually do some measurements (nuchal thickness/translucency) and estimate the risk for down syndrome etc. (compared against statistics). There's some hormones they also test. Using the combined metrics, they can give a risk ratio/classification on the most common chromosomal disorders but majorly Down's. Still, it has 90% accuracy. Do note that as compared to doing an NIPT (be it iGene, NICE, Harmony, Panorama - there're all about the same besides nuances in their extended panel, just different healthcare providers offer diff "brand"), Oscar has higher false positive rates for high risk.. There are many who end up still doing an NIPT later - I found a number of posts discussing this on the theasianparent forum, if you google Oscar vs NIPT :) Certainly NIPTs are much pricier - but the 99% accurate screen gives much more assurance for risk for Trisomy 13, 18, 21 & also bonus is gender is revealed! (at 12weeks vs the traditional 20-22 week fetal scan) There's basic panel of the above, or extended, that also gives risk for 22q/other chromosomal microdeletions. Either way, both routes are for screening purposes so they cannot diagnose anything. I guess, before the technology of NIPT advanced this much, moms used to do the OSCARs and for most, it was sufficient to help decide if a more invasive amniocentesis should be done at a later stage... Knowing if baby is a boy earlier also means our OBGYN may ask if we wish to also proceed to more invasive testing for X-linked genetic disorders (more common in males than females because males only have one X chromosome and whatever recessive gene is on it doesn't have a partnering one on the other X chromosome that may be dominant to "block" the recessive effects). Jiayou mommy! :))

Read more
2y ago

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It definitely helps. 😊

Mine was blood test and detailed scan done at 20 weeks.

2y ago

Yes it did.