First pregnancy - first doctor visit

I’ve just tested after missing a period and it’s positive. I’ve seen various discussion on public and private hospital for deliveries and choosing the right gynaecologist. I’m currently overwhelmed with information and can’t seem to make up my mind on public/ private hospital to then decide my gynaecologist. Can moms please share why you chose public/ private hospital and your consideration in choosing the right gynaecologist? Thanks in advance. #firsttimemom #advicepls #firstbaby Update: I’ve just went for my first appointment with KKH subsidised. I’m currently still deciding based on my experience with KKH subsidised to decide if I would be switching to private within the next couple of sessions. The whole appointment took about 2.5 hours which included the required scan, pee stick test, height and weight measurement and blood pressure test. We then had a consultation with a doctor who provided a brief explanation and understanding of our health condition as well as the EDD (expected delivery date). Subsequently, we waited for a short briefing about FTS Down syndrome test to decide if we would like to proceed with any of the test. Total cost of first visit: $240 After subsidies: $150

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hmm honestly I didn’t really have the same great experience with KKH. I was with KKH subsidised and am about 6 weeks. I find it extremely challenging to get any answers from them. Eg. I had some episodes of light bleeding but they wouldn’t let me speak to a doctor. Some of the nurses were also quite rude and insisted I just had a late period, but were proven wrong when my HCG went up. Was pretty demoralising to wait for the results. Maybe I was unlucky? I don’t know. Can’t complain since it’s subsidised. But since it’s my first pregnancy I would like to feel more assured instead of having to rely on google for answers.. I think if you are able to claim your gynae visits or are financially comfortable, private would be better. My two cents!

Read more
2y ago

So sorry just saw your reply! That’s really bad that the KKH staff did not let you speak to the doctor especially with light bleeding. I would want to speak to a doc too. I mean searching online just gives an indication but not clarity. You should feel supported by your medical team, subsidised or not. Have you decided to go private? I’m checking out private gynaes now and will likely change after my second KKH appointment. I’m nervous and clueless at the same time, being a first time mum. It is hard to get recommendations too, without disclosing the early pregnancy.

TapFluencer

Hello! I just recently got pregnant too! We chose NUH, reason being they have the best available maternal and fetal team in SG as advised by a few of our dr friends. Was contemplating to go MENH, and was trying to lock in the price before they increase the price every December! But I was told by their maternal suite team that they only have 8 delivery suites, and more than often they had to send away delivering moms! (Not sure if they trying to scare us away, hahah) Nevertheless, we felt that the team at NUH is more equipped and also (hygienic). Just had my first private consult at NUH, their private gynae patients consultation is actually very nicely decorated too (not sure if it’s a factor!) was pleasantly shocked when we were there

Read more
2y ago

Hi! I'm 7weeks pregnant and in a confusion to choose gynae in NUH or MENH. Your review will helps a lot. can you please suggest your gynae name in NUH please? Thanks in advance

I’m with KKH subsidised but I intend to switch to private subsequently as my company insurance covers maternity up to a limit. Wanted to do my initial checks and find out more about my pregnancy before deciding which gynae is good for me. So far, I’ve been to one appointment with KKH subsidised. Wait time was short (1.5hours for everything) and got to see baby’s heartbeat through ultrasound scan. Everyone was polite and caring, so overall very positive. Will update after my second appointment, which is in a month’s time!

Read more

hi there ! congratulations 🎉 To me best is KKH coz if there’s any complications all the other hospitals will also send to KKH.. my experience for kkh subsidised is good 👍🏻 the waiting time isn’t long and all the doctors and midwives are friendly and informative.. i’ve experienced private for awhile bfr i changed to subsidised.. reason being it’s too $ for someone who doesn’t have medisave and also the waiting time was actually longer there huhu hope this helps :)

Read more

Hey same here! Following your thread!