Lentil and Pasta Soup
- ¾ cup brown lentils
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 cups water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 7½ cups vegetable stock
- Fresh marjoram leaves , to taste, with extra for garnish
- Fresh basil leaves , to taste
- Fresh thyme sprigs , to taste
- ½ cup small pasta , such as tubetti
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Smash one of the garlic cloves (no need to peel), and place in a large pan. Add the lentils and water. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Drain the lentils, and set aside the cooked garlic clove. Rinse the lentils under cold water, and drain again.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp butter in a large pan. Add the onion and celery, and stir over low heat, to prevent sticking. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Peel and crush the remaining two garlic cloves. Peel and mash the cooked garlic clove. Add the garlic, lentils, tomato paste, and remaining 1 tbsp oil to the pot of vegetables. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour in the vegetable stock. Add the herbs, salt, and pepper to taste. Bring the soup to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta and bring to a boil. Simmer for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently until the pasta is al dente. Add the remaining butter.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with marjoram leaves. Serve.
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.