Lemon Labor Cupcake
- 1 stick butter , unsalted and kept at room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ¼ cup grated lemon zest
- 1/8 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup buttermilk , at room temperature
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 cup powdered/confectioners sugar
- 1 2/3 tbsps freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 unsalted butter , softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered/confectioners sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp plus 1/2 teaspoon milk
- 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8in round cake dish with a cooking spray of your choice.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy (5 minutes). Add the eggs one at a time, followed by the lemon zest. In another bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix lemon juice, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Put the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture alternately into the batter. Start and end with the flour mixture.
- Pour batter into the cake pan, place it in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let it stand on a wire rack to cool.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the lemon syrup. Combine sugar and lemon juice in a heavy-bottom pan on low heat until sugar completelyt dissolves.
- After the cake has cooled for 10 minutes, top the cake with the syrup over. Allow cake to cool completely before glazing and frosting.
- Combine sugar and lemon juice in a bowl; whisk until smooth. With the back of a large spoon, glaze the top of the cake.
- Meanwhile, to make the buttermilk, cream the butter and salt for 30sec In the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the milk, vanilla, powdered sugar and lemon juice. Beat for 5-6 minutes or just until frosting is fluffy. Put the buttermilk into a piping bag and frost as desired.
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.