Healthy Stuffed Peppers
- 1 tbsp oregano (dried)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1.5 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 5 large capsicums
- 350 g ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion , chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 cup green onions
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella , shredded
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Carefully cut around the top of the capsicum. Take out the top and empty the seeds. Make sure you do not puncture a whole at the pepper’s bottom.
- Arrange the capsicums in a baking dish.
- In a skillet, heat oil over high heat,
- Sautee onions and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook, stirring until it browns and its liquid cooks off. Add oregano, cumin, cayenne pepper, coriander, onion poweder and season with salt. Stir well to coat beef evenly.
- Add tomato paste and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and rice then mix to bring to a simmer. Cover the skillet and lower the heat to medium.
- Allow to cook off for about 13 - 15 minutes until rice is cooked - mixture shouldn’t be thick. At this point, it should have remained loose.
- Add in green onions.
- Fill half of the capsicum with rice and beef mixture.
- Add a layer of cheese, then fill the remaining space with beef rice.
- Put capsicum lids back on, and pour ½ cup of water into the pan.
- Cover tightly with foil, place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve with cottage cheese.
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.