Chicken Roast with Longan and Dates Stuffing
- 1-1½ kg whole chicken
- 4-5 garlic cloves , unpeeled and smashed
- 1 thumb-sized knob of ginger, unpeeled, smashed
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cups glutinous rice , soaked overnight and then drained
- 6 dried Chinese mushrooms , soaked, then sliced into slivers
- 4 shallots , peeled and sliced
- 10 dried longans , rinsed
- 6 dried red dates , rinsed
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
- Heat oven to 200°C
- Rub chicken evenly with salt, five-spice powder and oil.
- Place ginger and whole garlic cloves and ginger into the cavity. Place in the oven and roast for an hour. Lower the heat to 180°C 30mins in.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glutinous rice. In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp of oil and sautee the shallots til aromatic and brown.
- Mix in the mushrooms.
- Add the drained rice and combine well to properly coat the grains with oil.
- Add rice wine and stir. Add the longans, red dates and a pinch of salt.
- Put the rice mixture in a rice cooker. Pour the chicken stock into the mixture and cook through.
- The chicken should be done at about the same time.
- Serve chicken with the rice stuffing.
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.