- 1½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp canola oil , plus more for greasing
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan , grated
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound asparagus spears medium , tough ends removed
- Creamy Dijon mustard, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly grease a wire rack with some canola oil, and set on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, toss 2 tbsp of the canola oil with the bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir in the parmesan. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, whisk the egg and the buttermilk. Set aside.
- Spread the flour in another bowl.
- Prepare to coat asparagus fries: first, roll an asparagus in the flour. Then, dip it in the egg mixture. Lastly, coat with the bread crumbs, pressing gently for the crumbs to stick.
- Arrange the asparagus on the wire rack. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve with Dijon mustard on the side.
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.