6months Old

Traditional weaning or baby lead weaning? And why?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I did traditional weaning... Had seen my child choke on milk before and had to do Heimlich manouvre to rescue her. Didn’t want that to happen when we started feeding. Also, my husband didn’t want to mess up the table so much.. haha, and he certainly didn’t want to waste any food. We also wanted to train my daughter to finish what was in her bowl/plate and not pick and choose or eat only however much she wanted. We watched her carefully and adjusted the given amounts as she grew up. As for feeding herself, I gradually guided her with the spoon, then fork, then baby chopsticks. She can use all of them perfectly now. Because she eats slowly, she gets full faster than she can finish her food. So I let her feed herself, but after a certain point, I would take over, so that she finishes her food and we don’t take a crazy amount of time for each meal (it’s already very long.. haha) Every kid and parent is different. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong approach here. Choose a method that makes life the best for you, because you’ll be spending a lot of time at the dining table with your LO. Heh.

Read more