FIL making fun of our child’s name

We recently informed my husband’s parents that we have decided on the English and Chinese names for our child. Being Chinese-ed, they complained that the English name was a mouthful, and my FIL even made fun of the Chinese name (he said that people are bound to make fun of our child in school with that name). I WAS SO FURIOUS, but decided to ignore him since my husband didn’t say anything as well. The more I thought about it, the angrier I became. I felt that he didn’t respect us enough as parents of his grandchild. I just didn’t want to rant to my husband because they are his parents after all. Anyone faced the same issue naming their child?

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes some relative gave me weird glances when I told them my child name. It’s quite annoying because they r the one bugging me to tell them the name, then once they know they react like “huh why this name?” I swear it’s a very common name so I don’t understand their reaction. I just take it as to each of of their own. I just refuse to talk to them anything related about my child cos I am super done dealing with all of their questions and opinions. Anyway going forward when my other relatives ask me what’s my child name, I told them I will only reveal when my LO is born. Just heck all these annoying ppl, there r everywhere

Read more