4 Day Old Baby

Recently just gave birth. My baby is 4 days old and he has not pooped for almost 2 days now. And most people are just telling me that I am not feeding enough even though I am dping it every 2 hours and even my husband just keeps pushing me to do more... I am so tired, exhausted and just so beaten down... just want to sit and cry Is this normal? I am breast feeding him and because my supply is not very good I was told by a lactation nurse to top up with a formula and so I did. My baby and I went for a check up on Monday and they took his blood for a jaundice check and he went crazy crying and screaming. I dont know what to do... I have been breastfeeding now for 4 days and my nipples are all sore and cracked and so I have gone to using hand expressions and breast pumps just to feed. Plus, yesterday my baby had some brick dust in the diaper... Anyone else going through this?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hi dear.. I need to tell you some important things. 1. Not every baby poops every day. 2. Stop listening to unhelpful comments. 3. It’s completely normal for your supply to be inadequate at the moment. My baby was super hungry during the first month because of jaundice. I couldn’t meet her demand from breastmilk alone till after her jaundice settled (after 1 month). So, yes, top up with formula. Helps the jaundice resolve more quickly too. 4. Tell your husband you’re not a cow. He should be helping you feed baby (formula), not just be a backseat driver. Did you know that feeling stressed, not resting enough and not drinking enough fluids are big factors for having inadequate breastmilk? So ask him to stop stressing you out. (Nicely, of course:)) 5. Your nipples need some treatment. The Medela purelan ointment worked wonders for me. Even with the cracks, I could apply the ointment then latch baby on immediately with a huge improvement in the pain score. 6. Things don’t need to be perfect. You’re recovering from labour. Everything is new, uncertain and scary. So throw out expectations of perfection and try to take things one step at a time. And try to enjoy it okay? Motherhood is a learning journey, but it’s also fun and fulfilling ❤️

Read more