Covid+ at W38

#pregnancy #covid Hi, I had just self tested positive on ART and had booked an appointment at the clinic for the PCR test. I think it's quite likely I'll be warded for observation, does anyone have the same experience and do you know what to pack for the hospital bag pls? Will share more as this progresses.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I received the PCR result the very next morning and had a code to key into Trace Together to grant MOH access to my records. A few hours later I was sent an online form to declare my housing and medical conditions. Yet a few more hours later MOH called to check in - I was given the choice to recover at home or they can make arrangements for me to go hospital for observation. On the home recovery program, I can leave the house once my ART turns negative after 72h, or after 7 days where I will be automatically "discharged" via SMS. He was unsure what the discharge process will be at the hospital, and it may be a while before a bed may be arranged due to the current wave, so I opted to stay home since I have very mild symptoms. I was given an emergency doctor's number to call in case I had any questions or had breathlessness symptoms. All in all quite seamless. My symptoms were: D1: Sneezing, and an itchy throat like the onset of the flu. ART was positive. D2: Fever, lethargy, stuffy nose and sore throat. Went clinic for PCR test. D3: Sore throat, dripping nose. Oximeter was above 97% throughout; the baby kicks felt much weaker on D2, but thankfully back to normal D3. I gargled salt water and drank lemon honey water to soothe the throat.

Read more
2y ago

You opted for stay home recovery at first right? But why were you conveyed to hospital for observation?

So on D5 morning I was conveyed to NUH by MOH's taxi. When I reached a gynae gave me an ultrasound, and then I waited with other patients in an outdoor tentage (quite comfortable; every bed had a fan) for a ward to be ready. Observation was mostly just blood pressure, oximeter and temperature readings every few hours. The next day NUH performed a CRT scan on the baby and everything was in line. I was discharged and sent home for home isolation by 3pm. I was in a C ward, and wasn't charged a cent - while on home monitoring I'm to report my readings at 7am, 1pm and 7pm daily via an online form, and I was also given an emergency hotline in case I had any issues. To take readings, I was given a blood pressure monitor, oximeter and thermometer too. I'm officially discharged today and received a recovery memo so I can de-isolate now 😃 Just to note - I'm a Thomson patient, and TMC seems to have a different Covid protocol from MOH. While MOH has given me a recovery memo and deem me to be non contagious, TMC will not allow me into the hospital for my weekly consultation still as my ART is still positive/it's been

Read more
2y ago

It seems that if my water were to break today, I would have to call Thomson Labour Ward to check if they would accept me and deliver in isolation; and if they can't, get delivered at a public hospital via A&E. This is really quite silly as I'm effectively "hospital-less" now although I'm officially recovered, and honestly I'll take this advice with a pinch of salt so do call your hospital yourself if you are in the same situation.

Yet another update today, got a call from a MOH Teledoctor to access if I am fine and able to quarantine at home. If I am approved to, there will be another follow up assessment call in 3 days. We felt it was more prudent to go to the hospital - if I have recovered or is assessed to be well, I can be discharged on D7 as usual, and may go back to my usual gynae. If the doctors feel my, or baby's health needs additional monitoring I will be kept under observation until we are fine. For the hospital bag, bring the delivery bag, clothes for discharge, and entertainment devices. One visitor with negative test result may be allowed to bring additional things if needed. D4 symptoms: stuffy nose, coughing and yellowish phlegm

Read more
2y ago

I think it's up to you - is your baby kicking well and do you feel anything is wrong? Does your gynae know you are positive and does he/she recommend you come in earlier? I'm supposed to be on weekly consults now since I may deliver anytime, but I can tell you my TMC gynae clinic is super relaxed about following up after I missed the last appt due to Covid. Essentially their response was "ok take care let us know when u negative". I'm still positive...

I'm in hospital now! MOH will send transport to the hospital, and when I reached an OB helped to do an ultrasound to check on the baby. Afterwards I spent about 6h waiting in a makeshift bed outside the hospital for a ward to be ready. Recommended to pack your gynae medical records to bring with you in your hospital bag as the current doc is requesting for it so he is up to date on any complications to expect.

Read more
2y ago

hi, how long did u stay at the hospital? and what did they do?

So if you are pregnant beyond W36, it falls under Protocol 1, and you have to go to a clinic for ART and PCR. When the PCR result is out in 48h, someone from the government will call you to discuss the arrangements - whether to continue monitoring at home or go to a facility.