Views on Plain Water for LO

Hi parents! what are your personal views on giving your LO <6months? ive read it that it is dangerous and i caught my MIL giving water to my 1 month baby 🤯🤯 we keep emphasize not to give but she is those old school type said that we shouldnt believe dr and nothing had happen so far (she claimed all the kids she took care before were well) my concern is.. once i start working, my LO will be under her care. im in dilemma rn..i understand we too drink plain water back then in the olden days..but after doing some reading, i just dont want to take the risk. afterall its my child not hers. jialat la like this.

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

If you're breastfeeding, no need to give water on top as BM already has adequate amount of water for NB needs. FM fed babies take water mixed with formula, so it's certainly not dangerous. However, plain water is recommended to be avoided as it's just empty calories and might fill baby's tummy already and baby won't be able to take milk as much as needed. I find it the most reasonable explanation, shared by our PD. You can explain the same to your MIL and I hope she'll understand.

Read more