Views on Plain Water for LO

Hi parents! what are your personal views on giving your LO <6months? ive read it that it is dangerous and i caught my MIL giving water to my 1 month baby 🤯🤯 we keep emphasize not to give but she is those old school type said that we shouldnt believe dr and nothing had happen so far (she claimed all the kids she took care before were well) my concern is.. once i start working, my LO will be under her care. im in dilemma rn..i understand we too drink plain water back then in the olden days..but after doing some reading, i just dont want to take the risk. afterall its my child not hers. jialat la like this.

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
TapFluencer

water is really something very personal view between parents. I gave my baby water since nb, to me I go by logic. we adult can't go without water so I don't think baby can too. my baby is fully breastfeed, and I can see the diff that I do not have phlegm issue. my pd from kinder clinic also did mention to give abit to let them wash their mouth and incase phlegm. I think it's the amount of water you're giving that affects those articles. Do we even have issue when we are fed with water in olden days? and this water thing only started few years. I guess it's your own choice.

Read more
4y ago

Huh??? I’m not the same person who made this post omg. My lo is 2yo now

VIP Member

If you're breastfeeding, no need to give water on top as BM already has adequate amount of water for NB needs. FM fed babies take water mixed with formula, so it's certainly not dangerous. However, plain water is recommended to be avoided as it's just empty calories and might fill baby's tummy already and baby won't be able to take milk as much as needed. I find it the most reasonable explanation, shared by our PD. You can explain the same to your MIL and I hope she'll understand.

Read more
VIP Member

Breastmilk/formula milk contains water so one cannot say that if adults need water, so does NB... My parents and in-laws have always hinted about giving water to lo but not literally when lo was only 1 week or 1 month old (was at 4 months) although I politely declined and said No, doctor said cannot. And I appreciated that they listened and did not insist anymore.

Read more

the reason in sg doc ask not to give lo water is because our the tap water contains alot of chemicals. But my gynae said is ok to feed bb a small amt if using filtered water..bcuz it will rinse down the remains frm milk.. but this is personal view la...i will feed mine some water... as wer using the same to make milk... so yea...its ur choice really

Read more
VIP Member

I am not giving water to my Lo, i told this specifically to my parents and in law. Caught my mil red handed doing so too, gave her a warning. Since then, she doesnt give anymore. I just follow what i read. Its for the best. Extra careful is better than feeling regret if anything happen when we can prevent it :)

Read more
VIP Member

hi its best not to give water for babies below 6 months as it might interfere with the ability to absorb nutrients from the body. the baby's organs are still developing and not accustomed to digest water. only start giving water when introducing solids :)

How old is your baby? Actually if they’re exclusively on breastfeeding. I was recommended not to give water as our mom’s milk alrdy has a lot of water content in it. But still seek advices from the paediatricians not sure about formula milk thou.

VIP Member

tell ur mother in law doctor say can't. show her youtube video of explanation. i did the same to my MIL and she did stopped. do it with soft and gentle approach. she will understand if she really loves and care for ur baby.😄

We are also fed with water so what kind of problems we have? And if something really happen does it really mean that is link to feeding the water issue? Personally thoughts, small amount is still acceptable.

Super Mum

1 month is too young 😢can you give MIL those articles of real life cases where the babies can die from drinking water? It does happen so she really needs to take it seriously.