My breasts is sore and I have developed a high fever, what am I supposed to do?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Likely you are having Mastitis. This is a painful condition of the breast, which becomes red, hot and sore (inflamed). Sometimes it becomes infected. Mastitis is common in breast-feeding women. It is usually treated with a course of antibiotics. It is best to try to continue to breast-feed if you have mastitis. Breast-feeding when you have mastitis will not harm your baby. The following measures may help to treat your mastitis without the need for antibiotics: Continue to breast-feed. This will empty the affected breast, and keeps the milk flowing. Feed on the affected side first, so it will empty well, for the next two or three feeds. (However, don't let the unaffected side become too full of milk.) After feeding, consider expressing from the affected side as well. This is to make sure the breast is emptied. Before feeding, massage your breast gently. Or apply heat with a warm flannel, heat pack or by having a warm shower. Ask your midwife or health visitor to check your breast-feeding technique, and to check that your baby is latching on well. If it is too painful to feed from the affected side, express the milk from that side with a breast pump. Try to eat well and drink plenty of fluid. However, if your symptoms become worse you should see a doctor. After talking to you and examining you, they may prescribe an antibiotic. The infection will usually clear within a few days of starting the antibiotic.

Read more

There is a possibility that you might have acquired a breast infection. Otherwise also women tend to have sore breasts right before their period or when they are on contraceptives. Even an ill-fitting bra can cause your breasts to become sore. It's best to speak to a doctor to find the exact cause. You can in the meanwhile use a warm compress to soothe your breasts.

Read more

You might be having mastititis. Go to the Dr for antibiotics. Also make an appointment with the lactating consultant at any hospital. Till then you should take a hot shower, use a hot compress on breast, massage the sore parts, keep latching on the sore breast and drink plenty of water... Good luck mum

Read more

Might be a plugged duct or mastitis! I got chills and a huge lump on my breast plus pus in my milk when I didn't pump/latch for 8 straight hours. Here's a good article on seeing if you have plugged ducts or mastitis: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

Read more
VIP Member

Do you feel 'full' in that area? Sometims new mom exprience it and its not mastitits. Just your breastmilk overproduced. I Suggest you to pumping immediately. But when the pain isn't gone then you probably have mastitis.

thanks