Should I not divorce for the sake of our child?

Hi mummies, after multiple incidents of family violence and seeking help, nothing much has changed. In face things got worse. My in laws don't even let me carry my own child. I have been thinking about divorce for quite sometime. Any suggestions mummies? My son is still a toddler hence I'm very hesitant to make my next move.. What should I do?

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Don't stay for the sake of your child. You will never be happy that way. You're lying to yourself and also your son. I've been in an abusive relationship way before we got married. Even his family is toxic. We only lasted for less than a year in our marriage & I was already pregnant with his child. 2 police reports made against him + PPO to protect myself and my son. He can't come near us. My son has not even met his father till today. Glad I decided to run out that day and never turn back. Happily married to my now husband for 15 yrs today. My advice - move on & never look back. The journey will be tough but when you look at your child, you just know that you need to move on and be happy. Remind yourself of how you were being treated and love yourself more than others. Your mental health is always a priority. Again, never stay in an unhealthy marriage for the sake of your child. Will never do you any good.

Read more

It better for your child to be in 2 different houses and see you both happy than live in 1 House and see you miserable. I read an article on divorced kids and some of them were happy instead of seeing their own parents fighting all the time. Also when they grow in a household where the couple is always fighting, they grow up to believe it is a norm which will end up with them having issues in their own relationship or marriage. My sister got a divorce and ran with my toddler nephew from her abusive husband and it was easy as he was still adjusting to the new lifestyle and the sudden change plus my parents did not help. But now he is happy, he is sad when he realize his dad is a douche but he is happy and adjusted

Read more

Hi, I know how you feel as I been through also. If parent marriage have broken but still continue together for the sake of child, when child grow up they won't feel happy and maybe they will feel it their fault that cause this happen.. Importantly, your family support. I believe your parents don't wish to see you unhappy Lastly, if you decided to divorce you can consult lawyer 1st.. Let them know the difficulties you facing, and what they can advice you hope this help you, stay strong mummy 🙂

Read more

my mom stayed in a toxic marriage for us kids. it didnt help any of us as it effected us mentally and personality as adults. My mom only thinks , oh, d kids will be better and maybe socially acceptable because we have 2 parents but privately we grew up adapting to our mom and dad's bad habits and toxic attitude. For example, my sister will shout at our maid no matter where we are, my brother is very narcissistic like my dad . So in such scenario, would u want that for ur son?

Read more

Rule of thumb: Never allow a man to lay a finger on you. If he does, run. I left my ex-boyfriend of 6 years the moment he accidentally kicked me out of reflex. I don’t tolerate such “accidents”. It just goes to show how disrespectful you are towards a woman. I also left my ex-boyfriend of 2 months who threw me on the bed because I didn’t want to meet him. Run, I would say. Bring your baggage with you and leave him.

Read more

When my mom decided to divorce, she mentally prepared us and explained what’s gonna happen to the family. To be honest, I’m glad my parents are divorced, they are much happier separated. It’s toxic and I hate it when they live together arguing every day, disrespecting each other. I’m happy and I love my parents only when they are individually happy.

Read more

Hello, hope you're okay. Anyway yesterday i just watch a china short video, and one of the person mention : if the mum can't be happy and is suffering, how can you think a child will be happy too. So yes. Free yourself and your child from a suffocating place. Stand strong. 💕

There no such thing as staying in an abusive marriage bcos of kids. What kind of environment will the kid grow up in? If you can’t protect urself, how do you protect ur kid? What if the abuse extends to ur child in the future. Think wisely and good luck

R u staying wif ur in laws? Did ur husband help to protect u? I think don’t divorce because of ur in laws. Is not fair for ur husband. But of cos if even ur husband also side ur in laws, den no choice. U have bring ur son to leave the place

Leave a toxic relationship is better than staying. Good for the emotional and mental health of yourself and your kid. I got out of one, & never regretted my decision. Life just got better! Trust your heart and your instincts 😉.