Hi Mummies, my 12 week LO is on mixed feeding since day3 due to my low milk supply. He recently refused to drink Formula, only drinks bm, which doesn't seem to be enough, he does not cry for milk though drinks very little, the poo is abit watery and smelly, and not much weight gain, but previously he's born big and on 90 percentile, there was significtant weight gain during month 2. May I know what to do to make him drink enough?"

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

From what you are telling me, there is a significant weight gain even if your lo is on bm. I assume that your bm is enough if there is a weight gain. Do you want to have your lo exclusively breastfeed from now on? You may do so by trying to increase your milk supply. Perhaps you can do the pumping every 3 hours or just do direct latching. The more you give, the better your supply will be. Also, do continue to monitor his weight against your baby book. If he is within his normal curve without a dramatic decrease in weight then he should be fine :-)

Read more

Doesn't sound like any problem here to me. Could baby be teething that's why is is not interested or cannot sustain long interest at the milk bottle. Some babies teeth at 4 months and signs can appear up to a month before that. My boy also mix feeding that time and sometimes I need to make him drink otherwise he won't drink - if he doesn't see the milk, he won't cry for it; if he sees it or drink a bit, he will wana continue drinking lots

Read more

It does not sound like anything is wrong. He is gaining weight. I would continue to give bm only and monitor. As long as there are wet Diapers ill say it's okay. Also if a baby is hungry they ain't going to keep quiet. That's for sure. Many moms worry that their milk is insufficient.

VIP Member

As long as he is gaining weight at each doctor visit, you don't have to worry about his intake or his weight percentile. All these are just guage. Secondly, if he is drinking via latching, you dont have to worry.Baby are very good in extracting milk out from mummy

do you latch him on or express? if you latch him on, can stimulate more milk for you and there will be enough for him