When do you visit the Gynae once you know you are pregnant ?

The moment you got a positive on the pregnancy kit. When do you visit the gynae ? I saw article said that we can skip first visit after week 6 and visit on around week 12. Do you guys do that ?

29 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I went few days right after my 2 positive sign on the kit. The whole gynae visit was a roller-coaster ride for me and my husband. The first trip was on 20th of May, the doc couldn't detect the sac thru ultrasound and did a transvaginal scan. So he was sure the black tiny doc was a sac anot. So he told me he suspect is a chemical pregnancy. Then he got me to take blood test and called me 1 or 2 hours late. He told me my hcg was 999. So he asked me to return on 22nd of May, 830am to see if my hcg got increase anot. So I took blood test first and waited till 11.15am. My hcg level increased to 1369 but that wasnt a double and the doc still wasn't sure the tiny black dot if is a sac. So he told me 2 possibilities which is either a chemical pregnancy or ectopic so he got me to for a bigger ultrasound machine around 12pm and we waited till 2.30pm and the report stated a 0.3cm gastation sac at approximately week 5 which rule out the ectopic pregnancy. Next Saturday I'm asked to see him again. My thinking is sometimes we too early to go and see gynae won't have much result. Heard that from 6 weeks onwards is the best.

Read more
Super Mum

No one can force you to go for any appointment. Haha. So if you only want to go at 12 weeks, it’s a choice you can make. Usually at 6 weeks +, they confirm that this is an intrauterine pregnancy (ie. The baby’s in the womb and not elsewhere non-viable), and they also want to check the size and whether there’s a yolk sac, to have an idea of the true gestational age (counting from period dates is not always accurate) and to see if the pregnancy seems to be viable at that point. By 8 weeks, you should be able to see the heartbeat nicely, and at 12 weeks, they’ll try to confirm the gestational age and EDD, plus you can also do all the screening tests for the various syndromes as well as certain conditions you might have that could affect baby. There are certainly people who don’t go for appointments before 12 weeks or even throughout pregnancy, but most people will, because they want to make sure everything’s alright. This is your pregnancy journey, so make you own choice and be happy with it:) Congratulations by the way!

Read more
4y ago

Thank you for your words :)

I went to poly to confirm my pregnancy. They will then ask if u want to be referred to any hosp. If you have your own preference, you can go to the gynae straight. 6-7 weeks would be best

I went to polyclinic to confirm my pregnancy at week 12. Then got referral letter to our government hospital of our choice. So I got an appointment for scan with NUH at about week 16.

I took two test but is not convince about my pregnancy then went to polyclinic where they confirm i'm already 9 weeks pregnant.Went to gynae when i'm already 13 weeks

I didnt know i m pregnant until i am wk 10 & get.to know i m wk 12 when i see the gynae. Usu see the gynae at wk 6 once u tested positive.

VIP Member

After I tested positive, went to the Gynae on that week’s Saturday - I was 6 weeks on the way by then.

VIP Member

First appointment from 8 weeks onwards. This is when baby heartbeat can be detected.

TapFluencer

No i don't i went to gynae the moment i found myself pregnant about 6 weeks.

Hey, I would suggest to go for 1st appointment after 6 weeks