Is it okay for a preschooler to wet his pants once in a while?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Daytime wetting, as it's referred to, occurs in about 3 1/2 percent of healthy children (kidshealth.org.nz), and that's on a regular basis. I'd say it's not too unheard of to say that occasionally it might happen in a preschooler once in a blue moon. 2/3 of kids who experience daytime wetting are also bedwetters. So if your child is regularly bedwetting, then there is reason to worry and possibly consult a medical professional. In any case, if problems persist, the following symptoms could be causing your child's daytime wetting problems: a twitchy or "overactive" bladder which may lead to wet pants or urgency a weak outlet valve which may lead to wet pants when laughing, coughing or straining urinary tract infections constipation which can lead to wet pants as well as soiling structural abnormalities with the bladder or the tubes from the kidneys suspicious symptoms include pain on passing urine, a poor urinary stream or continuous dribbling of urine problems with the nerves from the lower spinal cord; weakness in the legs may be associated To clarify, I don't think that a child who has wet himself/herself only a few times is experiencing anything severe. References: http://www.kidshealth.org.nz/daytime-wetting#sthash.IiqvlvTH.dpuf

Read more

There are many reasons why a potty-trained preschooler might wet his pants. It could be due to emotional reasons, they could be stressed, distracted, frustrated or dealing with any other emotional issue. To us adults, it may seem simple, but to a child, learning to use the potty can be a pretty complicated process. When the urge to pee hits, the child has to learn how to hold it for a few minutes and if they are focused on something else like playing with friends or eating, they might not be able to get to the bathroom on time. If it's a one-off occurrence, don't worry too much about it. Keep calm be kind with your child. The calmer you are with your child, the more likely they will overcome the pants wetting faster. Talk to your child and find out why they weren’t able to make it to the bathroom in time. It could be simply due to the lack of focus and time or it could be something else - health related like infections or constipation. These could add pressure to a child's pressure and cause them to be unable to hold in their pee as effectively as before. Ask him if he is feeling any discomfort and if yes, take him to the doctor.

Read more

Like what Idza mentioned, if it is just a one-off incident, there is no real need to worry about it. Accidents do happen. If it is a recurring issue, other than emotional causes, it could also be due to physical factors. A urinary tract infection, diabetes, or gastrointestinal issues, like constipation may cause a child to wet his/her pants. Urinary tract infections and constipation may put pressure on the bladder and the child may not be able to handle yet. As for diabetes, frequent urination is one of the first signs (together with extreme thirst). Therefore, the child may be drinking much more and needs to go to the bathroom often, and sometimes, he/she may not be able to make it in time. If you are worried, bring your child to a doctor to find out if it is a physical issue that is causing it. For more information, here is a useful article: http://www.newkidscenter.com/4-Year-Old-Wetting-Pants.html

Read more

Doesn't really sound like he is truly trained. Just because a child knows how to use the toilet doesn't mean they are "potty trained" per say. Some kids stay in a pull up thru the night up until age 5. I wouldn't expect him to hold it thru the night just yet. Are there any stressors maybe that are causing this? As far as during the day.You should try rewards. Try putting up a picture of a toy he would really like. Put a sticker on for each day he doesn't pee his pants. Then maybe after 7 days or so go to the store and buy him the toy. This is a reward system we used with my nephew and it seems to be working. He is 4. For each "naughty" thing he does we take a sticker off.

Read more

When kids are going thru potty training they are still understanding the tolerance level and how long they can keep it in and when they should tell you when they need to go.. Sometimes while playing, kids forget about such things and this little "accident" might happen, be stern but not angry tell your kid what he or she should do in the future to prevent this and still constantly ask them if they have the urge to pee or poo. The moment you ask them, they will remember.

Read more

Well it depends on two things, firstly is it a one off incident and secondly what stage of potty training they are at currently. If it is a one off incident, try not to embarrass your child about it especially if they are still under going potty training. They might still be unsure as to how long they can control themselves. If this has happened too many times before, you might want to consult a doctor to find out if there are any serious issues.

Read more

Did it happen at school or at home? it might be the case that he did not tell teacher or you in time so that he wet his pant. My daughter tried to tell me and my husband but we did not hear so she wee on her Pyjamas. Once it a while is acceptable but you should tell him how to let teacher or parents know together with Potty training.

Read more

Is he having stress or worried about something? Could be some pressure that's affecting him personally.

thanks

Very interesting. Thanks!