Is it important to clean baby's new teeth? How do I do it safely?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

When my baby is still young, I used dental wipes for baby such as the brand 'ToothTissue" or Spiffies. 'ToothTissue" is N.P.A. certified, natural, fluoride-free, paraben-free, and contain xylitol. It is recommended that we can clean baby using dental wipes even before the teething to help teeth grow healthily. When baby is older, I use pigeon steps brush (3 steps). Make the brushing a fun activity by singing song.

Read more
Post reply image

I cleaned my daughter's gums after every feed -- even before her first tooth sprouted. I had a dozen soft muslin cloths cut into small squares just for this purpose. I would dip them in warm water, asap is around my index finger and gently swab the gums and the new teeth with it. I have a dentist int he family and he highly recommended this method.

Read more

Start cleaning your child's mouth even before her teeth come in. Wipe the gums off after each feeding with a warm, wet washcloth or a dampened piece of gauze wrapped around your finger. You can also buy thimble-like, soft rubbery devices (they fit over your index finger) to use for rubbing off excess food.

Read more

I think it's good to start from young age so that they can get used to the motion of you brushing their gum. Initially I just used damp cotton wool before these. So far so good for my 16m.

Post reply image

Yes, it is. There are age appropriate toothbrushes for that. They are available in most baby and children shops. Better start early even if they resist :-)

thanks