Sister in law has no kids and keeps giving me unsolicited parenting advice.Am I wrong with snapping?

I have a 9 month old baby girl and my sister in law is a medical student. She doesn't comment much but sometimes she points out things about my baby's development that hurt my feelings. Like she will say "she's coming to the age where she can start crawling soon!" And it makes me feel guilty that my daughter isn't crawling or hitting milestones. Today, I shared a video of my baby on a walker and she said it was cute and then shared that she learned while on her pediatrics rotation that the pediatricians didn't recommend walkers and sent me a link that said walkers slow baby milestones. I ended up getting frustrated and told her to leave the parenting to me and mind her own business and if I had any questions, I'd ask her. My husband said that was rude of me. Am I wrong?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
TapFluencer

I read a few times and consider a few angles before coming to the conclusion that you are over-reacting. 1) U did say that your SIL doesn't comment much but when she does (which is sometimes only), you feel hurt by it. - Why should you take into offence with her comments which only happens sometimes? I really think you shouldn't be too affected by them unless if it happens every time... If every time, then different story la. 2) U mentioned that her comments 'makes you feel guilty' that your girl isn't hitting milestones. - There's no need to stress urself and feel guilty if ur girl haven't reach milestones. Always rmbr that every child is different and that milestones are just guidelines for us to refer to. 3) She's just sharing with you what she has learned. Nothing wrong in just listening to her sharing. She's not forcing you to listen to her mah... U listen and if u don't wanna take it up, decline quietly. Easier now?

Read more