I am 11 weeks pregnant, visited two gynae. 1st Doctor just prescribe folic acid, said my stage doesn't need calcium yet. I dun think provide enough nutrient for baby, so I am wondering whether to take fish oil, calcium & vitamin c from 3 months onwards. I asked 2nd doctor he also said just need folic acid for current stage, but my next check up baby is already 4 months. I hv a friend who is 3 months pregnant, doctor prescribed multi vitamin, calcium & fish oil. Any advice? 1st time pregnant lack of knowledge and worried of baby growth.

22 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My gynae prescribed folic acid and multi vitamin during the first trimester. After first trimester, he prescibed multi vitamin containing folic acid and calcium pills. He mentioned that fish oil is optional. But many opted for fish oil, hence i follow suit. Taking folic acid can lower the risk of your baby developing a defect in his spinal cord (neural tube defect). The neural tube defect spina bifida happens when nerves in the spinal cord are exposed and damaged. Don't worry and you should trust your gynae and listen to him. You shouldn't need to take supplements to get the rest of your vitamins and minerals. All you need to do is make sure you have a variety of healthy foods. A balanced diet is the best way to get the nutrients you and your baby need.

Read more