Me and my husband have conflicting opinions about parenting. Sometime we end up fighting because of this. How do we reach to a consensus regarding parenting ideas?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Every couple has conflicting opinions about parenting but we should understand that here we will be taking decisions for our kids and not on the setting of the home or which TV to buy. So, we must listen to each other views and analyse, discuss and do whatever is best for the child. We should shed our egos, and especially the attitude that I know the best. Because if someone has a preconceived notions about things then that person is not open to ideas. It may be that most of the times your husband's ideas are a little better than yours or his understanding is more conducive for kids, in that case do not feel bad that your ideas are not taken into actions, rather feel happy that the best has come out because of you two's discussion. So, I think the parents need to be receptive and open to each other's ideas of parenting. And selflessly apply those which benefit the development of the child the most.

Read more

it is natural to have problems coming to agreement about different topics, and especially when it comes to parenting. understand that both you and your partner are separate individuals, and it is natural to have a different opinion. i feel you both need to talk about it and sit down and discuss certain points. do it at a time when both of you are in a regular mood and not hyper or upset. also, set down a few pointers from you both that you want to implement. if there is no common ground that you can reach, try adjusting to each other's opinion a little. it's for the sake of your kids after all.

Read more

I guess, you guys can take out best from your opinions and handle the situation in the best possible way. What I have learnt from my 10 years of parenting is that quarrels over who is right and who is wrong, are just ego battles and they do not help your kid in anyway. Instead of fighting, develop an understanding towards accepting decisions that will affect your child in the most proactive way, and then it doesn't matter whose opinion it is.

Read more