How many months of your salary need to be kept for emergency?

28 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think 6 months to a year is better. Once you are not working your expenses should automatically become lower too. But still you need at least 6 months assuming your partner is still working and helping to chip in. I looked for a job actively for about 9 months before I got an offer I wanted so these days the job hunt process will be longer

Read more

For me, I would say about 3-6 months of my salary. I have a separate savings account for emergency savings that doesn't have an ATM card so if I need the money badly, I either have to transfer via I banking or withdraw direct from the bank. This is will reduce the temptation of using said money.

Financial advice is 3-6 months of ur expenditure. That is base on the fact that u shld be able to find new job by then or other assets can be liquidated by then as some pple may have monies in overseas or locked up in harder to sell assets

3 to 6 months if possible. I keep the money seperate as well. Sometimes tend to over spend. At least in case of an emergency ill have something to fall back on. If its 6 months of savings then ill have a 3 month saftey net.

I suggest keeping about 6 months’ salary available in case of an emergency .if you have higher expense , you also keep about 6 months worth of expense for safety purpose.

ya 3 to 6 month sometime thing come in a sudden that is the best have some money in the bank.

about 4 months salary..i try to save about $1k every month

It is recommended to safe for 3-6 months.

6 months of your monthly expenses

VIP Member

At least 6 months to 12 months